Academic and Industry Activities
Training & Research
FSG is active in providing education and training services to assist in the development of young engineers. Through his position as Honorary Associate of the Department of Civil Engineering at Monash University, Dr. Seidel participates in both undergraduate and postgraduate education, training and research.
Dr. Burt Look has developed and presented the Education Engineers Australia (EEA) Earthworks Course to practicing professionals nationally since 2006. His research activities are focused on applications in industry practice and he is a thesis supervisor at both The University of Queensland and Queensland University of Technology.
Dr. Ben Collingwood is regularly an invited speaker at industry conferences and seminars, on a range of topics related to design and constructability of piling and retention systems.
Dr. Jim Slatter is regularly an invited speaker at industry conferences and seminars, on a range of topics related to design and constructability of piling and retention systems.
Dr. Burt Look regular presents as an invited speaker at various industry events. Topics vary from:
- IEAust South East Queensland Geology, Brisbane, 1999, on “Strength and Deformation Properties of Brisbane Rocks” and “Expansive Clays in South East Queensland”
- IEAust, Brisbane, 2002. “Earth – Retaining Structures – new AS code”
- Urban Geotechnical Practice, Sydney 2010 on “Achieving adequate compaction on construction sites”
- Keynote speaker – Young Geotechnical Engineers Forum, Brisbane (2011) on “Floods, rains, landslides: Geotechnical history lessons and whatever else comes to mind”
- AGS Symposium on Reducing CAPEX by managing geotechnical risks on projects, Brisbane 2012 on “Integration of the geotechnical known and unknowns into reducing project CAPEX”
- International Geosynthetic Society (IGS) seminar honouring Dr. JP Giroud, Brisbane 2012 on “Design Considerations for a geosynthetic reinforced soils slope at Montville”
- IQPC Piling and Deep Foundations Australasia, Sydney 2013 on “Assessment of rock strength characteristic values applied to rock socket design”